YWCA OF SYRACUSE AND ONONDAGA COUNTY INC.

Housing

 

The first “Ladies’ Christian Association” was founded in New York City in 1858.

The YWCA Syracuse & Onondaga County has continuously served the needs of women since 1885. Its primary purpose, at that date, was to care for young girls moving into the city to work.

Services expanded to include:
A boarding house
Concerns about discriminatory wages for women and child labor
Education and employment programs
Recreational programs
Day care

In 1918, as the YWCA building on East Onondaga St. was finished, supportive housing for single women was formed and included job training skills.
In 1974, an intervention program was established to support women who had been incarcerated, with skills in finance, self sufficiency and job readiness.
Our current Women's Residence Program is located at 300 Burt Street, Syracuse, 13202