Walk to End Racism
At the YWCA, we are dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. All of us can accomplish this incredible mission by linking arms with fellow community members to create change. The Walk to End Racism is one step forward we can all take, together.
This annual event is planned and organized by Syracuse University students, in collaboration with the YWCA.
Thank you to all who made this event possible, and joined us on April 26th as we walked together from the YWCA Main Office Building to the Onondaga County Courthouse! When we work together to identify issues, understand complexities, and develop solutions, we can and will transform Central New York for the better.
25th Annual Day of Commitment: Until Justice Just Is
Our 25th Annual Day of Commitment, presented by Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, took place on Thursday, April 27th. The Day of Commitment consisted of morning DEI workshop trainings, and was followed by a luncheon in the Persian Terrace of the Marriott Syracuse Downtown where we honored three local Champions of Diversity who are actively working to create a more equitable community in Central New York.
We are so appreciative to all those who participated, including:
- Christy Simoncelli, Director of Health Equity and Community Investments at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- Ndoye Maty, Health Equity Data Analyst at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- Clark Sargent, Director of Primary Care Services at Liberty Resources
- Tealye Pinet, Co-Director for Programs-Career Services at On Point for College
- Olive Sephuma, Vice President COO at InterFaith Works
- Cheryl Giarrusso, Division Director at Contact Community Services
- Robyn Smith, Community Investments & Partnerships Manager, CNY Region at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
- Carrie Land-Steves, Co-Director of Clinical Services at Vera House
- Holly Lehman, Office-Based Therapist at Vera House
- Latoya Allen, Deputy Director at Home HeadQuarters
- Michael Watrous, Agency Relations Manager at Food Bank of Central New York
- Cherylene “Twiggy” Billue, Workforce Development Coordinator at Jubilee Homes of Syracuse, Inc.
- Ingrid Paredes, Vice Principal at Public Service Leadership Academy at Fowler
- Rasheada Caldwell, Director of Youth & Community Partnerships at Allyn Family Foundation
- Ruthnie Angrand, Director of Communications and Marketing for the City of Syracuse
- Dr. Gina Cuyler, Former Vice President of Health Equity and Community Investments at Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
Congratulations again to our 2023 YWCA Champions of Diversity!
- Murjan Abdi, Workforce Development Assistant at MACNY
- Monu Chhetri, Founder/Executive Director of Deaf New American Advocacy, Inc.
- Reggie Kelley, Founder/Executive Director of Rise Above Poverty
Click here to see our full list of previous winners.